Frequency of Infection in Cervical Lymph Node Biopsy Site using Chlorhexidine and Povidine Iodine
Keywords:lymphadenopathy, biopsy, chlorhexidine, Povidine iodine
Background: Lymph node are located throughout the lymphatic system, they are concentrated in certain areas of the body including head and neck. Cervical lymph nodes are lymph nodes found in the neck. Of the 800 lymph nodes in the human body, 300 are in the neck. Cervical lymph nodes are subject to several different pathological conditions including tumours, infection and inflammation.
Methodology: The Povidine-iodine and chlorhexidine for preoperative skin preparation in cervical lymph node biopsy procedure were used in this study and patients were asked for follow up after a week. On follow up day their wounds were checked, assessed and withdraw all stiches and complications were recorded accordingly and analysed them. It was discussed and showed that which one of Povidine-iodine and chlorhexidine is best to use for preoperative skin preparation in cervical lymph node biopsy procedures to reduce surgical site infection and economical one.
Results: Out of 150 patients, 46% (69) were males and 54% (81) were females that had cervical lymphadenopathy after skin preparation by chlorhexidine antiseptic solution showed frequency of infection in total of 150 patients 16.67% (25) were infected while the other 83.33%(125) were not infected. Out of 150 patients who were underwent cervical lymphadenopathy after using povidine iodine skin preparatory antiseptic solution, 42% (63) were males and 58% (87) were females and among those frequency of infection showed 44.67% (67) were infected while the others 55.33% (83) were not.
Conclusion: Preoperative scrubbing of the patient’s skin with chlorhexidine–alcohol is better than scrubbing with povidone–iodine for preventing surgical-site infection after cervical lymph node biopsy.